Sunday, March 18, 2007

Daylight Savings Time

Yes, I know. That was last week. I'm late. As usual.

I've spent the last week complaining and whining, bleary-eyed, tired and grumpy, muttering not nice things about the idiots who decided that, not only was DST a great idea, we should start the semi-annual change of the clocks even earlier in the year than usual. I hate it. It's confusing. It's not necessary. It's just plain dumb.

And I don't want to hear that it will "give us an extra hour of light in the evening". No it won't. We have exactly the same amount of sunlight as before (well, maybe a bit more, but not much and certainly not an hour). It's just an illusion, a mind trick, and I for one am not impressed. No one ever talks about how it's still dark when we get up in the morning. I had enjoyed hearing the birds singing shortly before I had to get up before the changing of the clocks and now, of course, the birds are still snoozing when it's time for me to get up. Smart birds! We should be more like them!